Diabetes – “A chronic disease that occurs either when the pancreas does not produce enough insulin or when the body cannot effectively use the insulin it produces” !
In India ~70 million people are diabetic & if continue at this rate, we will cross ~100 million by 2030 according to researchers. Yes,it’s true India has become the diabetic capital of the world. Diabetes causes some serious health issues including kidney failure, blindness, stroke and heart diseases.
Why Indians are more prone to Diabetes:
- Genetic is most prevalent reason for rapid scale.
- The Indian diet is rich in carbohydrates and processed sugar foods. Huge consumption of soft drinks which contains large amount of sugar which leads to obesity.
- Urban lifestyle of people working on laptops for long hours and and less physical work.
- Indian adults with a lower BMI(body mass index) are at high risk of diabetes.
Besides the health risks, diabetes pushes the masses to poverty. Reports say that one-fourth of person’s income is being spent on managing diabetes and related diseases due to diabetes. Problem lies that most people are not aware that they are already diabetic. People above age of 35 are at extremely high risk of diabetes. So, it is very important for every individual above 25+ age to have a regular tests done for blood sugar.
Roughly ~1 million people die due to diabetes in India and we hardly have any awareness program for it. ~80% of the people above 40+ age are either already diabetic or are on verge of getting diabetic.
How to prevent from getting diabetic:
- Regular physical exercise is a must for everyone above 20+ age & maintaining an ideal body weight.
- Extremely less consumption of alcohol & tobacco reduces the risk of diabetics.
- Avoid consumption of processed sugar food and junk food which is prevalent in the name of fast food for the modern society.
- Regular health checks(blood sugar tests) to rule out diabetes must for everyone over the age of 30.
According to WHO report: The greatest number of people diagnosed with diabetes is between 40 to 59 years of age.Diabetes resulted in ~4.6 million deaths in 2011 and caused ~ $465 billion in healthcare expenses in 2011 alone.
Roughly ~80% of the investment in health sector comes from private funds and that too from individual pockets.People with lower income are unable to handle the economic and disease burden.
Stay alert and keep your body under check by getting regular test and keep your records intact with Medimojo to stay healthy and live longer.